Wednesday, February 22, 2006

closing the store in town at night before i transferred up north...

I know I'm bouncing around on subjects lately, but...I get distracted, for heaven's sake!! And I always think of the most brilliant, heart-wrenching, thought-provoking thing to write right before I fall asleep every night. And it's gone when I wake up...just think of all the pearls of wisdom you've missed!
I must have been trustworthy to the store back when I was still just a cashier (not that I'm NOT trustworthy, you understand!). Actually, think about it...it's kind of amazing that MORE employees of that store weren't thieves (we had some)...a lot were single, trying to raise their kid or kids, and we were paid $3.35/hour, until minimum was raised to $3.50/hour! Okay at the time for an after-school job, but, for raising even ONE kid, + renting an apartment!! Lots of people asked me, "Couldn't you get more if you stayed home and got on welfare?" Like that is something to aspire to?? Jesu*!! What an example that would have set for Tiffany!! Kevin and I even told Tiff when she was looking for a job, we dont care if you're a stripper, as long as you don't grow up to be a welfare bum!! ('bum' is the operative word here, some people are on welfare without wanting to be!). I told Mom that...she didn't find any humor in it...
So after I had worked at that store for about 6 or 8 months, I started working with the head cashier between customers, learning how to do the books, and once I knew that, and they knew they could trust me (BTW..the manager used to put $50.00 extra in the safe once in a while, just to make sure we were honest enough to say that the safe had too much money!), I got to be in charge of the store here from 3 or 4 to 9 pm.Now THAT was fun!! We always (well, okay, usually...) had to make sure the whole store was cleaned up & the trash was taken out (hey Jill! ask Ken about the time he DIDN'T!!). And then, of course, had to do the turning off of the lights & everything. One night, one of the high school stockboys (Phil...I talked about him before), went back to get the lights turned off. Well, okay, a cashier & I were standing there waiting for him to do it, & come back up front, so we could lock up & go home. Hmmm....tap, tap, tap, call him on the intercom "PHIL!! UP FRONT!!" Nuthin'! So, I went huffing & stomping back to that back room to look for him...and he was in it, all right...swinging around on the big pipes up by the ceiling, going, "Oooooh-Oooooh, Eeeee-Eeeeee, look at me, I'm Curious George!" Oh my God, that was hilarious!! Too funny to yell at him for fucking around!
After I got the deposit ready to go, it was pretty much like it would be at the other store, the cashier went home, and I took the deposit to the bank and dropped it off. One night when we were closing, Phil asked if I could take him home. Turned out, he lived with his mom & dad in a great big house right across the street from mine & Tiff's apt. So that was really good, that way I had a great big "bodyguard" when I took the money to the bank at night (it was DARK, ya know?) After we dropped the deposit off, we'd go pick up Tiff at her babysitter's, about 3 blocks away, and go home. Oh, and that was also the bank that Kev & Ken's mom worked at, a couple blocks from ny apt!
After we got Tiff & we all got out of the car to go in our houses, Phil would walk across the street, singing real loud, "weeeyeeeeheeeheee..." blah, blah,blah, 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight...". I will NEVER, EVER, hear that song without thinking of Phil...
BoUnCeS!! LibbY!

No comments: