Thursday, June 01, 2006

thursday...




Okay, more pictures...


...and I hope nobody needs to be told that NONE OF THESE ARE MINE!!! By the way..Happy Half-Naked Thursday??

All right...I thought I'd post these things on here because everybody thinks 'I'm a troublemaker', and Kim was the only person to 'reap the dubious benefits' of it. HA!! I reaped puh-lenty of the benefits myself!! But, I thank God every day that I never paid for it...unless that's what my ms is...

Adventures with my Yugo (that I was stupid enough to buy after my Honda was totalled).

The first week I went back to work after the car accident that took my WONDERFUL 1982 Honda Civic (grrrrr!), believe it or not, the Yugo drove great, even though I drove over 100 miles every day, because I worked 55 miles north of the town I live in (& always have). So any car had to be dependable, with the amount of miles I put on it! (it usually ended up being about 1,000 miles a week! but I friggin' LOVED to drive!).

The week after that, the stupid red Yugo (that I had already named Ivan! as in, Ivan the red...Ivan the terrible...) just sputtered and stopped on the highway on the way to work...on top of an overpass! Luckily, it was only about 5 miles north of town (thank goodness!), so, after uttering many, many choice swear words, I pulled the car over to the side of the road, got out, locked it, gave it a good hard kick, and ran down the hill at the side of the overpass, cuz it was only 5 miles into town by that road down there, plus, maybe I'd be able to get to a repair shop that way. (this was how life was before cell phones, kids!). So I'm walking down this two lane highway at 7:15 am, knowing that I was going to be late to work (sigh...I knew my store manager wouldn't get mad, though...), and about 5 minutes into the walk, I heard a car coming from behind me, headed into town. That was kind of surprising, that road was usually empty at any time of the day, so I turned around and looked, and backed off the road out of the way. Surprise, surprise, the car went past, then stopped, backed up, and the guy leaned over in the front seat, and rolled down the window. Of course, it WAS an old "hoopty car", as people call 'em now. But he asked me if I wanted a ride into town, and, hoopty or not, it ran better than the Yugo at the moment. I got in, and he started talking, asking why I was walking, etc...(keep in mind...this guy was creepy looking, creepy with a capital creep!). I kept the discussion up, just cuz he was nice enough to give me a ride, then we started talking about our jobs, and I told him what I did and asked what he did, & he said he was in the hazardous material cleanup business! Then I really looked in the backseat, and saw a can that looked like a paint can, only it was labeled "Hazardous waste material! Do not touch!!" and it had a skull & crossbones on it!! Holy shit!!

As soon as we got to the edge of town, I made my excuses, told him thanks, he asked for my phone number, I cheerfully gave it to him (transposing the last 2 numbers, of course!). Once I was out of the car, I could breathe again!! And I went to the closest gas station and, of course, called Dad, he came & got me, called his favorite repair guy (who we got to know well over the next couple months!), and, well, I drove Dad's car to work after I took him home, my car was towed and fixed (thank you, Daddy!!), and there's more about this car in the future...

Libby

No comments: