Saturday, April 23, 2005

1st apartment for me & Tiff, by ourselves...

Okay, here it is...the first apartment Tiffany & I ever moved in after we moved from my mom & dad's house...
I was 19 & Tiff was a little over a year old. I called about an apartment in the newspaper for $250.00 a month...Kind of expensive for me at the time, but....I had never lived by nyself b4, and I was gonna do it, dammit! No matter WHAT!! I looked at it, it only had 1 big bedroom, & a huge bathroom upstairs, & kitchen & living room downstairs. It was a HUGE, ENORMOUS old house, that was so big it was split into 4 apartments that each had an upstairs & downstairs. So I signed a 6 month lease, cuz I absolutely loved the area, a block from where I grew up, 2 blocks from my job...& across the street from the scariest-looking church in Ohio. It actually used to be a big mansion that a family lived in, but after they left there (&, amazingly enough, moved to the house that I grew up in....we bought it from that family in 1966!), it was converted to a big old stone church, with trees, and lots of grass....I actually saw an owl over there one night! (remember, I was a spoiled 'city kid'!).
After we moved in, Tiff & I started unpacking, and poking around inside. I LOVED the bathroom, it had obviously been a bedroom at one time, forever ago. It had a big clothes-type closet on one wall, and enough empty floor space in the middle that I could put my bentwood rocker in there (so I could read to Tiff while she took a bath, ya know?). About a week later, I met the neighbor in the next door apartment. And my friends from high school came over, and we sat around on MY PORCH!, after I put Tiff to bed, & drank...you know, way back in the 'olden days' when you could drink beer at 19! Then it started raining, so we went inside, and poked around some more. Then we went upstairs, and at the end of the hall was a door, with a padlock on it! So...there was an attic up there, too!! So, we unlocked the door, my friends were getting all excited, saying that if it was big enough, could they move in too?? We walk up the stairs (& YES, it was dark & scary as hell up there!), and I looked over beside me at the wall by the stairs, & saw...all kinds of pentagram thingys drawn on the wall, and, worst of all, there was a perfect hand painted there, palm-out, and the tip of each finger had a flame coming out of it, & in the middle of the palm was a big red #13 painted!! Holy shit!! We looked thru the rest of the rooms up there, but, thank God, they were empty! We thundered down the steps (yes, we woke Tiffany!), and I turned around and locked the padlock, and NEVER went up there again!! Everybody says I should've moved right then, but, what did I know? Nothing ever happened...except that night, I went to bed after my friends left, I was upstairs in the same room as Tiff (she was still in her crib)...all of a sudden, I heard a knock on the window!! No 911 svc back then, remember? & I went to the window & looked out...it was S, my neighbor, trying to scare me!! He did...
BoUnCeS!! LibbY!

No comments: