Tuesday, August 02, 2005

first time in Myrtle Beach...

I went down to Myrtle Beach in the summer of 1988 with my best friend, Joe, and his brother, P...Tiffany stayed with my mom & dad for the week, for 'her' vacation! At least that was what she called it before I left....damn, did I miss her, though!! I called her every night from there, and I bought her every souvenir I could find! She even got me one on HER vacation...a Mac Tonight glass! (he was cool! I got her a mac tonight beach towel down there too!).

So, we had a good drive down there...except Joe would NOT let me drive! And I have no idea why, I was a better driver than either one of them! So I had to sit in the back seat and sulk almost all the way there. And then, overnight, we went through a drive-thru & got food & Cokes, and everyone decided an hour later we all had to pee. So, Joe pulled over to a rest area, and they went in & peed. I went around the building to the women's room, and it was padlocked!! I didn't have a clue what to do. Joe came around a second later to see if I got lost or killed by an axe murderer, but I just got pissed & told him they had to take me somewhere to pee. They just laughed & pointed out to the dark woods, and said, "there ya go...hurry up, the train's gonna leave!" Dirtbags! But I did...I thought nobody had to do that except teen-agers! Grrrrrrr!
So we finally got down there, and it was even more fun than I had thought it would be! We'd rented a condo on the beach, and it was 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a big living room, & a kitchen (like anyone was gonna use THAT!). We had a minor disagreement about where we'd all sleep, because Joe said he was taking the big master bedroom, cuz he was the one who had made all the arrangements. That was ok...but I wasn't gonna stay in there with him!! That left the other bedroom, but it had 2 twin beds...it made no difference to me if P slept in the other one, but he didn't. He slept on the couch, probably because he had a girlfriend (she's his wife now).
So we went shopping...for beer!! And we bought a big watermelon, I remember. Then we went downstairs & checked out the pool & the beach, very cool! That's actually where we spent most of our time down there. Except, of course, for when Joe & P had to go upstairs every day from 3 to 4....to watch General Hospital!! I always laughed at them, said 'I thought you were GUYS!!' Oh well...I had fun at the pool by myself, anyway! So, I remember one night when we were all sitting on the beach, and it was a gorgeous full moon. We were just sitting there not saying anything, and I remember thinking that this could be a cartoon...P looking up at the moon thinking of his girlfriend...Joe looking at the moon thinking of me (yeah, we had settled a long time ago that we would never be anything but friends, but I knew the thought was always there on his part)...and I was looking at the moon, and over my head was the thought balloon that just had a big question mark!
Then I also remember that one night we sat around in the apartment drinking, and I must've fallen asleep or passed out before them, because later on I saw the pictures they had taken of me sprawled out on the couch, and they had put their underwear all over me!!
By the time we were ready to come home, I think we were all sick of each other...BIGTIME!! When they dropped me off at my mom & dad's, Joe just took my suitcase out of the trunk and put it down in the driveway...then we all just said "bye" and they took off back to town!
Might I say...I had MUCH more fun down there with Kevin & Tiff 10 yrs later! And I wasn't drunk!!
BoUnCeS!! LibbY!

No comments: